Shafaq News/ United States President Donald Trump's administration plans to allow so-called "Dreamer" immigrants to renew deportation protections for a year while it reviews a Supreme Court ruling, White House officials confirmed on Tuesday.
The administration is preparing a fresh attempt to end the program that shields from deportation hundreds of thousands of immigrants living in the US without documentation after entering as children - a group often called Dreamers.
The review follows the high court ruling last month that found the administration had erred in the way that it had decided to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program in 2017. DACA was put in place by former President Barack Obama and currently, some 644,000 immigrants are enrolled.
The administration plans to continue its existing policy of not accepting new DACA applicants, a policy in place since 2017, a senior administration official told Reuters.
But the administration will extend the eligibility by a year for those DACA immigrants whose protection from deportation was due to expire, as long as they do not have a criminal record, the official said.
The decision means the program will remain in place through the November 3 presidential election, in which Trump is fighting for a second term against Democrat Joe Biden.