Shafaq News- Baghdad
Iraq’s efforts to bring weapons under state control remain unresolved, and September 30 is not a firm deadline, State of Law Coalition member Zuhair Al-Chalabi told Shafaq News on Sunday.
The issue could be addressed differently after US and Turkish forces withdraw from Iraq, including those stationed at the Zilkan camp in Nineveh province, and no foreign forces remain in the country, according to Al-Chalabi.
He added that the current focus is on submitting the Popular Mobilization Forces Service and Retirement Law to parliament for approval, arguing that “passing the legislation would pose a major challenge to Washington.”
Al-Chalabi accused the US chargé d’affaires of previously exerting pressure to influence the legislative process and force the bill’s withdrawal from parliament.
Read more: Scoop: Iraqi Shiite leaders propose ‘weapons management’ compromise
Last week, a source within the Coordination Framework (CF) told Shafaq News that prominent Shiite leaders had presented armed factions with proposals aimed at easing tensions between the factions and Prime Minister Ali Al-Zaidi.
The proposals included replacing “disarmament” with “weapons management,” placing weapons use under the authority of the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, and separating the withdrawal of US troops from the start of measures to bring weapons under state control.
The Iraqi government, however, reiterated on Friday that September 30 remains the deadline for bringing weapons under state control, saying armed factions had been informed of the date and the proposed mechanisms.